Sunday, February 25, 2007

I Shall Forever Rue This Day

For today is when I found out about the New York Department of Health's online restaurant inspection results. This is something that gives the already food-paranoid (me) a chance to flip out even more regularly. Now, when Katy and I are trying to decide on where to eat we won't be looking for reviews on signature dishes, but rather how many violation points a particular place has earned and whether or not "Harborage or conditions conducive to vermin exist." Lovely. This can be a real eye-opener. Many of the more expensive and chic restaurants in our area are also the biggest violators. Next time I sit down to eat at one of these places, rather than asking about the specials I'll be asking how they did on their last inspection.

If you live in NYC, check out some of your favorites here (click on Restaurant Inspection results online near the top of the page).

P.S. One of the violations is: Food from unapproved or unknown source, spoiled, adulterated, or home canned. This was found at Queens High Pearl Seafood Restaurant. The mind reels.

No comments: