Thursday, October 12, 2006

My Jams

I'm going to try and do a semi-regular column here on Best of the Blank starting...now. Entitled My Jams, it is a presentation of things that I'm into, from literature, to music, to movies, to opinions, to tasty eats. So here are My Jams for the week:


Blog
The Masticator. This is written by the brilliant Harry Sheff. My Jam this week is his post Liberals on Conservatives on Liberals, in which Harry takes a brave leap into conservative punditry and returns with a wonderful deconstruction of hypocrisy-filled arguments (from both sides). (That picture came up when I did a search for "masticator" on google. Harry, I think this guy could be your new mascott.)

Book
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I've just started this book, but I already want to stand up and proclaim my athiesm from the chuch steeples. Dawkins is an impassioned and eloquent writer, who can also be really funny, and knows exactly what he's talking about. And what he's talking about is what is wrong with religion and why it's time for it to go.

Record
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists. The Decemberists bring their pirate ship into Prog Rock waters, and fear neither the extended jam nor the Reaper on their latest release. The first song will make you wanna hug yourself and then the second makes you wanna rock. On the moon.

Food
Massaman Curry. Yum.



TV
The Office (American version). Katy and I raced through the first two seasons of this with a quickness. The first season left us amused but not amazed, since it aped the British one so much (which is one of our absolute faves). But the second season was flat-out awesome. We laughed, we cried, we squeezed one another everytime Jim and Pam were together on screen. I've downloaded the first three episodes of the third season, and thus know what we're doing some night this weekend.

Work
CSI: Miami. All I've been doing here for the last week are promos for this show. I've come to appreciate David Caruso's monotone delivery and need to take off/put on sunglasses for every statement like I appreciate the delicate movements of a winter swan coming home after a spring thaw. Since we are now running CSI: Miami on A&E at least 20 times a week, I expect to eventually experience a Videodrome-like moment with the entire cast.

Feel free to leave comments with your own Jams!

2 comments:

The Masticator said...

Thanks for the kind words, Kyle. Nice to be in the same league as CSI Miami.

The top of my list of Jams would have to be David Lynch's bizarre daily weather report on his website http://www.davidlynch.com/. He's been out for a while, so there haven't been any updates. But since L.A.'s weather seldom changes, his usual reports of "golden sunshine" could be recycled endlessly. Ah, but no. Lynch is a perfectionist, so all we see when he's not there to deliver the weather in person is a placard held up in front of a camera for 30 seconds that says "THE DAILY REPORT WILL BE BACK."

Anonymous said...

Richard Dawkins?? The former host from "Family Feud"?