Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Brief Journeys to both Past and Present

Oh how time flows upon diff'rent currents when not marked in passing through my blog. It seems as though ages have passed since last I scribed about this page with my bit-dipped quill. A summery:

On Sunday I met up with Noah, Jesse, Maren, and Chuck at Bar None, a bar in Union Square, to watch the Vikings game against the Packers. What made this interesting was the fact that during Vikings games, Bar None becomes a total Minnesota Ex-pat bar, filled to capacity with Helga-headed, purple and gold bedecked, horn-blowing hooligans. It's quite a sight. I even saw Mark Jury there, brother of Paul Jury, rockin' his Moss jersey. Apparently, Vikings fans have been gathering there for nine years, willing to take crushing defeat after crushing defeat in each other's $2 Bud-soaked company. Free pizza at half time too. There were even a few non-Minnesotans there, who've become fans since following Fran Tarkington over. That's dedication.

In other news, on Monday I headed down to a huge studio to watch the filming of a script I wrote for a CSI Miami promo. It was amazing. The director, Daniel Fries from Leroy+Clarkson, did an amazing job of helming the whole bit, turning my script into something much cooler than I had imagined. There was this monster set they built of a bathroom, smoke machines, models, actors, blood, film cameras on cranes, set decorators and prop people, grips, gaffers, ADs, a guy making omelette's for the crew, makeup, wardrobe, the whole bit. It was very cool. Daniel even took some suggestions on set and kept me involved the whole way through. I'm stoked to see the footage and start cutting the promo together. More on this as it comes together.

That, along with another Dog the Bounty Hunter promo has taken up my entire life as of late. I haven't been able to offer much input into Quiz Bowl's latest opus, which is due for a two-week film fest this Friday. Tonight I'm going to hook up with the team and lay down some voice over and write some narration. The brief cuts I've seen have been pretty hilarious. Joren is definitely headed for Emmy nominations should his whole teaching thing not work out.

On Friday it's Neeve's birthday bash at the Irish Rogue, which she describes as "Irish pub meets Bar Mitzvah." And my folks are coming into town! So they'll be hanging in the city for a bit before we all head up to Connecticut for a Thanksgiving Rumble Royale. Noah and I are deep-frying a turkey. Cuz we roll like that.

Stay tuned.

No comments: