Thursday, November 16, 2006

Time For Jell-O Salad!

This post comes courtesy of Maren who is doing us all a great service. For those of you not fortunate enough to have grown up in the Midwest, this is what Thanksgiving is all about. Pilgrims be damned. I encourage everyone out there to submit some of your special Thanksgiving recipes as well to make this a Best of the Blank Holiday Eating Spectacular!

I want you all to be prepared, in case you need to supply the Jello salad this year at Thanksgiving. I will be making 'Lime Salad' as told by Ruth Brakel, my grandma.

You can follow this recipe if you're the designated jello bringer. Or if it doesn't suit your tastes, let me know, because my grandma's community cookbook (where this recipe is listed) has 40 other varities. Were you craving the kind with celery AND marshmallows AND mayo? Well Clara Viker has you covered, I can send you the recipe.

Ok, Lime Salad,

1 pkg lime Jello (3 oz)
1 C. hot water
Dissolve.
1 large can pears, crushed
1 3-oz cream cheese
1 C. chopped nuts
1 large pkg. Dream Whip [aka coolwhip]
Add 1 C. pear juice

Chill. Whip with beater, the Jello, and cream cheese. Fold in crushed pears and Dream Whip, which has been whipped. Put in ring mold and chill overnight.

That is, verbatim, the recipe. Don't worry, it's easy, just mix and let set overnight in a plastic mold. I have lots more! Orange Sherbet Salad, Cherry Coke Salad, Cranberry Walnut Salad, mmmmm. Don't forget about the Jello salad for your holiday meal!

[skeptics - don't judge until you try it]

No comments: